Double Gas Leak in ArdrossanThe Scottish Fire and Rescue Service attended two incidents involving gas leaks in domestic premises  simultaneously in Ardrossan last Thursday night.

I would urge all householders to have their gas appliances checked and maintained on a regular basis and in particular heating appliances as we approach the winter months.” – Station Manager Derek Davidson.

 Invincible Fire and Security can supply and install Gas Detectors to ensure gas safety in your home or business. We can also supply and install CO Detectors to detect Carbon Monoxide also known as ‘the silent killer’

Two fire crews from Ardrossan Community Fire Station attended an initial call to Montfode Drive, Ardrossan at 10.40pm. On arrival, with the support of gas network engineers, firefighters isolated the gas and electricity to the affected premises. Personnel then ventilated the premises while monitoring of gas levels within the area was undertaken. As a precaution, a main firefighting jet was laid out in the event that any areas of ignition and danger of fire spread could be dealt with quickly by fire service staff and neighbouring properties were also evacuated as a precaution. An elderly male occupant of the house was assessed by paramedics as it was suspected he had inhaled the leaking gas but fortunately he suffered no ill effects and did not have to attend hospital. Attendance was maintained by gas network and fire personnel until gas survey readings displayed safe levels and the leak had been caused by a defective gas fire in the living room of the house. The second incident occurred in Montgomerie Street, Ardrossan, just an hour later. As crews from Ardrossan Fire Station were already attending Montfode Drive, operational personnel from Kilwinning and Dreghorn Community Fire Stations mobilised to the address. With a gas engineer in attendance it was quickly identified that gas readings in the area were high and as such the gas supply external to the property was isolated by the engineers on site. Firefighters then had to force entry to the property to isolate a domestic cooking appliance which appeared to be at fault. Further gas monitoring was undertaken throughout the neighbouring properties to ensure safe levels were reached before the incident was closed. Station Manager Derek Davidson said: “It is quite unusual for the service to be called to very similar incidents within such close proximity to each other at the same time. “I believe there is a lesson to be learned in relation to both events as both were caused by faulty appliances. “I would urge all householders to have their gas appliances checked and maintained on a regular basis and in particular heating appliances as we approach the winter months. “The purchase and fitting of carbon monoxide detector is also recommended as the gas itself is known as the silent killer, you won’t know until it is too late.”